Monday, February 4, 2013

Orchids "Dancing Angels" painting



 

 
Seems I dove into this one without thinking the hazards out fully.  White orchids were pretty straight forward, but the spotted ones were something new.  Here's how I tried them, for anyone reading this who is painting or just curious:  as the video shows I worked on forming the base shape of the fuscia spotted orchids relying on the color between the spots to form the shape, next I added in the variety of fuscia (alizarin mixed with either cobalt or ultramarine, some cad. red, some thalo red rose, and up to titanium white) spots, then took a sable brush and blended (not in video) lightly here and there to soften the spots, then back in with the background color, and lining and shaping again, pretty much just around and around.  It has, to me, a shaky feeling about it, between the value changes colliding, the wide spread composition, and all those little dots, and so the angels are dancing.  Enjoy!