Monday, February 25, 2013

Going out for some Plein Air

I was explaining to my brother how plein air painting is the fancy name for heading outdoors to paint, and how I hadn't been doing this for a while preferring to make decisions with less nature pressure.  So over the weekend I headed down past Carmel since the weather had cleared up, but was still cold.  What was the surprise was that there were enormous waves and really strong winds which would toss sand up in my work despite the fact that I set up behind a 15' high boulder in the sand for protection.  Needless to say my shorts were not enough, and I only managed about an hour and a half before needing to call it a day.  However, it was one of those days which make the paintings of the California coast that really show it's glory.  Between the waves were gorgeous changing colors of aqua water, some with yellow highlights, some with the sand showing through, smashing on the rocks and all the foam turning violet as the sun set and turned the coastline a warm peachy tan.  I am working on my painting, a small 11"x14" now, with some ideas on how to be more comfortable in such harsh winds next time, but it was worth every minute.  No painting to share yet, it's coming.