Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Near Lake Tahoe Frozen Stream Oil Painting

Happy New Year!

I managed to squeeze in a short trip to see the snow around Lake Tahoe between Christmas and New Year's Day...

There was just enough snow to ski on a bit and approaching the ice covered conditions of a typical New England ski day.  I spent a day hiking in the snow and taking photographs.  Capturing the "golden hour" in a mountainous area can be challenging due to shadows.  Simply getting to some stream areas in the snow can be difficult not to mention finding a place to park with snow banks and no stopping signs on the main routes.

What I found on my visual scavenger hunt, were these really gorgeous red-orange shrubs which light up brilliantly at sunset!  Next to the frozen stream they were pure eye candy.  Here is how I captured this effect:
2015 Catherine K. Moore
Frozen Stream near Lake Tahoe
12"x 16" oil on linen board



and here is the video time lapse of it being painted:
Enjoy!