Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Ducks

This is the duck painting my brother requested.  Ideally I'd have simply bought a nice Alexander Koester painting but he wanted me to make one so I have.  In order to paint these I referenced many of Koester's works and kept them with me while I worked.  What was fascinating about his ducks was that the European Poultry Society had also looked at his paintings, along with many other artists' work, and they could identify the types of ducks.  Apparently duck 'collecting' was a fairly popular hobby among the wealthy and new varieties ended up on canvas.  While my work comes no where near Koester's gorgeous work, there is something very pleasant about painting water and ducks and it makes perfect sense how he could have painted so many ducks.  Enjoy, and paint a duck!