Saturday, August 25, 2012

Golden Gate Bridge

 
I'm going to let this one sit and dry for a bit.  This is a 16"x20" oil on canvas.  I was out in the fog this past weekend both Saturday and Sunday watching a soccer tournament.  It was quite windy and I really could not stay long and wait for the fog to lift, so I ended up climbing over a strange building which the Presidio probably used to store ammo in and looked to have the footprint of a large cannon with all the bolts still sticking up in a circle.  The roof was made of concrete and since there wasn't a sign indicating it was condemned, I climbed over it and got this view.  Thinking how marvelous to have such a close view, I didn't stop to think how really bad my reference photos would turn out or that the bridge's struts would require the loathesome liner brush and a maul stick to paint.  And everything is dried out and dead, so all the foreground foliage had to be imagined alive and green in spring.  There are two paintings here:  the 'International Orange' bridge against the mauve and peachy hills with the cool water and the foreground painting of the cool gray-blue and red (pickle weed it looks like) scrub brush in the foreground.  Together it's a lot to take in, but I suppose that reflects the dynamism of San Francisco!  Imagine a clanging trolley car, or the fog horn, and crowds of people walking and driving across this icon.